Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Parking sensor installation

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 18th October 2013
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Parking sensor installation

I've done 2 cars recently - I'd say it's not difficult at all as long as you're patient and work methodically (and are handy with tools).

On the Passat and the A140, the holes are marked out for the sensors on the unpainted side (inner side). I doubt they will be marked out on your Laguna though so bear in mind the recommended height from the ground and spacing and you can't go wrong.

I used the 'invisible' electromagnetic type sensor on the Passat - it's crap tbh and I wouldn't bother with one of those again unless I absolutely did not want any holes in the bumper for aesthetics.

On the A140, I used the conventional ultrasonic sensors. These were slightly harder to fit as they don't simply push in as the manufacturers would have you believe (or maybe because the bumper on the mercedes is A LOT thicker than other cars), but luckily these sensors had rubber retainers which I had to feed through from behind using a small screw driver and it all worked out.

The hardest part will be removing the bumper, and after that, finding a way to feed the cables into the boot area. I used a pre-existing grommet eventually (I tried to drill a new hole but my drill wasn't upto the job). If you do make a new hole, don't foget to use a suitable grommet.

If you have a display to go with it too, then feeding this toward the rear of the car (to connect it to the control box), keeping the cable out of view and secure might be slightly awkward but not impossible.

the rest is just plug and play. The only connections you need to make are to the reverse light (one live, and one earth).
Currently in TazzyK's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Privilege (2004), Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 106 Expression (2005), Volkswagon Passat 2.0 TDi S (2006), Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic Lusso (2008)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome