Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Carminat Retrofit

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 13th December 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Having given it a bit more thought, I suspect that the dealer has oversimplified matters somewhat. I'd be very surprised if the car didn't have any multiplex wiring - I believe all modern Renualts use CANbus for the diagnostics port and to allow the ECU to talk to the UCH .

What you probably won't have is a CANbus network that has the extra connectors in the right places for the sat-nav units. With suitably in-depth knowledge of how to modify the network wiring, what you're after could probably be achieved, although you may need to have other systems reprogrammed on the diagnostic computer to interface correctly to the sat-nav system. Unfortunately, I'm not someone who has that knowledge. As for just buying the wiring, I doubt that's an option. Carminat was only ever available as a factory option, and the differences in wiring will have been built into the looms at the factory.

To be honest, in your shoes I'd be whacking the whole lot on eBay and making it somebody else's problem. I know it's less than ethical, but it's probably going to either be that or take the hit yourself. If you want something that's nicely integrated with the dash and isn't quite so easy to steal, then it might be worth looking at a replacement stereo with built-in navigation.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome