Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane II rear brakes

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Megane II rear brakes

Originally Posted by TazzyK View Post
Can't say for certain, but our Alfa Romeo 156 had severe case of on one of the rear brakes binding. When I investigated this, everything was working as should (as far as the footbrake was concerned) until the handbrake was used. I freed and lubed up all the working parts but this had no effect. In the end, the handbrake cable had to be replaced as this was seized up. The cable has internal springs I believe, and rubber gaitors at the caliper end (on the Alfa at least) which are prone to being damaged over the years and this often results in the handbrake seizing in winter, so I'm assuming its not too far fetched to imagine the cable seizing in other scenarios (as it did on the Alfa).
Ok, so I did some research on my own inthe meantime - basically, handbrake mechanisms are the culprit, not the cable. This is at least the case with Megane.
There is a thread on this forum with similar case of seized caliper, only with Laguna, which leads to the following page:

So in fact, cables have nothing to do with it - the seals in the handbrake mechanism are the weakest link here. For now, as I have too less time, I will order new ATE calipers for rear (as OEM are 300+ euro, while ATE are 130 euro), but I will retain the old OEM and attempt an overhaul. I'll try to make a good how-to when I do it.

Thank you all!
Currently in jimmy274's garage:
2007 Renault Megane II 1.6 16v Grandtour
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome