Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #295 of (permalink) Old 30th October 2013
Mike H025
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

Anyone got a picture of what this ECU / top box / cover looks like?

Just FYI, from my own experience and others (on other cars not just Renault) bad wiring or dodgy connectors is a 'favourite' culprit, as somebody once wrote elsewhere "modern cars are computers on wheels" so it doesn't take much to raise a problem.

I agree MAF is another good contender, my previous Ford had this hassle but it took me absolutely AGES to finally work out what was really going on; the symptoms manifested as auto-box failing, specifically overdrive clutch slipping, it would keep hunting between 3rd & 4th then it would finally throw in the towel and flash the MIL light.

You start asking around where to get a good 2nd hand or recon box from, then you read more about what false symptoms the MAF can throw up. So I got a new MAF for 45, sorted. Was like getting a brand new gearbox.

It seems to me these type of MAF 's would have a working life of maybe 10 years, then they just stop working properly, giving the ECU nonsense information which does not match with readings from other sensors. The computer can only work with the data it's given so throws what it thinks is the appropriate error code. Note that the MAF sensor is not failed, just giving the wrong Voltage. So as far as the computer is concerned, MAF is working OK. Must be something else.

The acid test (I subsequently discovered) was to unplug the MAF sensor, which forces open-loop fuelling. This does not use MAF data; if car then drives perfectly, there's your problem right there. Don't know how this exactly equates with Renaults however but worth investigating.

Currently in Mike H025's garage:
Renault Clio III Ph2 facelift 1.2 16V 75 I-Music
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome