Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace roof bar maintenance

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st October 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Espace roof bar maintenance

Hi guys

If your Espace roof bar levers are getting stiff this is for you.

I bought some bars off Ebay , but one lever was too stiff for me to move. I took the cover off, which although illustrated in the mechanics manual was very very difficult and damaged the plastic, but it did give me access as shown in the photo.

A night soaked in penetrating oil did the trick. If your bars are stuck on your roof I suggest pushing a WD40 straw in a gap and drowning it.

I found that the lever can be disconnected from the spring force by pushing the locking pad in. The second photo shows my thumb pushing in, imagine the second one doing likewise, mine was holding the camera. You may need a third hand to move the lever. Once open it is easy to access the spring and mechanism behind the lever. This action allow you to get oil into the main bearing.

Oiling seems to make all the mechanism free and easy to use. It is evident that this should be done every few years.

I am not impressed that the bars are plastic, very strong maybe but they are not even made of a lot of plastic, just the minimum.

One more tip for everyone. The retaining covers at the back of the rails are a dreadful dirt trap. Just look at the birds nest in mine . That is a rust trap if ever there was one so regular cleaning is a must.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2911.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	28162   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2917.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	28170   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2916.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	28178   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2918.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	28186  
Currently in DrRog's garage:
IV Grande Espace 3.5V6
The Following User Says Thank You to DrRog For This Useful Post:
Big Dav (2nd November 2013)
  5 Lastest Threads by DrRog
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Espace IV after-market roof rails General Chat DrRog 7 1110 15th August 2014 09:50 PM
Espace IV ICE control replacement In-car entertainment DrRog 1 823 15th August 2014 09:13 PM
Espace IV Air-con compressor replacement Heating & cooling Ian Lewis 2 1377 15th July 2014 05:12 PM
Espace IV one-touch window fault Electronics DrRog 3 719 27th May 2014 09:36 PM
Espace IV sensor fan access Engines stu22 3 751 26th May 2014 01:38 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome