Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Making the 12v cigarette lighter sockets permanently live

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th December 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Making the 12v cigarette lighter sockets permanently live

I would like to make a little wiring mod to my fuse box to make the 4 cigarette lighter sockets in my Laguna permanently live rather than through the ignition.

I am competent with electrics so I know how to do the mod but looking at the Haynes manual the UCH / MTU (Multiple Timer Unit) seems to be joined to the back of the fuse box. Is it possible to access the back of the fuse box without damaging the MTU (or my wallet)?

I have all sorts of horror thoughts running through my head that with power loss to the MTU it will forget everything, not recognise my ignition card, the steering lock will be engaged and a very expensive tow to the Renault dealer to get everything reprogrammed.

My other thought is that the Haynes manual always recommends disconnecting the battery before carrying out any work. If the MTU loses its settings on power loss surely disconnecting the battery would have the same effect?

Anyone got any knowledge/advice on the MTU before I make costly mistakes!
Currently in onnward's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna
  5 Lastest Threads by onnward
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna II - Red engine management light and dead... Electronics onnward 2 1325 16th September 2011 12:51 PM
We're on the road to nowhere Engines Getafix 13 2079 3rd February 2007 05:44 PM
Making the 12v cigarette lighter sockets... Electronics DEEJAY 225 2 5158 15th December 2006 04:21 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome