Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Laguna II MP3 changer disc formats

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 26th October 2005 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Okay, the car's here (as if that wasn't 100% obvious from my new avatar.) I haven't had much chance to play with the stereo, but it handles my CD-RW's well enough and isn't baulking at my 192Kbit constant bitrate files - in fact they're sounding pretty damned good.

As for whether or not it reads the ID3 tags or the filenames, the answer appears to be 'neither.' Unless I just haven't worked out how to switch it on yet, there's no text display relating to the tracks at all - everything is just catagorised by a disc number/folder number/track number. I'm guessing it plays back just based on the order of the files in the folder (which, thankfully the ISO CD format specifies has to be alphanumerically ordered.) The ID3 information appears to be redundant.

It's a bit of a disappointment, considering the last thing I had that behaved like this was a very cheap and nasty Goodmans MP3 personal CD player that I bought at least three years ago. I found that to be a pain to navigate around, even with a single disc, so multiple discs are going to be an absolute nightmare.

CD text is pretty common on cars these days. I know the Avensis and 407 both have it. I'm still very pleased with Renault for giving us MP3 as standard (which most don't) but they lose points for missing this opportunity. I haven't tried a normal audio CD in the car yet (and in all likelihood never will) so I don't know if there's CD text for those. I doubt it.

Edit: Just had another tinker, and if you exit the sat-nav map display, you can actually get full folder and file name details. I'm not sure if you can have them in conjunction with the map, but I'll probably still be using my GO700 for navigation for the most part.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 26th October 2005 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome