Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Front Washers Working With Rear Switch*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 1st November 2013
Mike H025
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Front Washers Working With Rear Switch*FIXED*

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread again but nevertheless I think this is useful info. I have just completely drained and refilled my washer bottle.

I have just acquired a Clio III facelift I-Music and yesterday had my first proper long 'shake-down' drive in it, on damp roads (as it happened). So of course used the washers a bit, and thought no, summink's not quite right here that looks like plain clear water. It beads and runs away too easily and doesn't actually seem to do a great deal in terms of cleaning.

So investigated today, siphoned it all out into a bucket and sure enough it certainly looked and tasted like ordinary tap water with no screenwash additive whatsoever. (You can usually smell it too when it's being sprayed.)

I had already been considering using distilled water anyway, so had already got a 'can' from Halfords.

Am I being too OTT? Distilled water? Well our tap water is very hard, so I figured that's the sort of thing ('furring up') that could cause problems for moving parts in the car's washer system. If it's got a rotating motor or valves, then even more so!

Made up a batch of screenwash & distilled mix, and refilled. For some time I have always added a generous dose of screenwash anyway even for the Summertime, by 'generous' I mean at least the recommended ratio for Winter; apart from the screenwash having antifreeze properties, it also contains solvents and detergent for actually cleaning stuff off, plus, the soapiness is a good lubricant for the wiper blades too.

Top tip I think

Currently in Mike H025's garage:
Renault Clio III Ph2 facelift 1.2 16V 75 I-Music
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome