Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Towbar electrics on Renault Laguna 2

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 26th October 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
First the good news: The road lights are a doddle.

I bought the official Renault wiring loom (around 50 quid) to do the light last time around, only to discover that all it does is plug into the lights. So there's no need for bypass relays or any other trickery - just go for it. Scotchloks will be fine as long as you put them on properly (I find a small pair of mole grips do the job beautifully.)

Reversing light and rear fog light feeds are a pain to get to on the hatch but not the ST.

The bad news: The supplimentary electrics are a nightmare.

I've spoken to two towbar fitters, and both agree that the most sensible approach is to run a positive feed from the battery through conduit underneath the car and into the boot. You can get all three feeds from that using a voltage-sensing split charge relay. But running the conduit is no mean feat in itself - the first time around I had the luxury of having the car on a lift, but it was still a pain. I don't have access to a proper workshop anymore, so this time round I'm paying a professional to fit the bar, largely because of the nightmare of wiring the 12S feed.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome