Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 02 Espace Mk III Rear Shocks & Spring Replacement With Pic's

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 1st November 2013
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: 02 Espace Mk III Rear Shocks & Spring Replacement With Pic's

Looks like I've got a bust spring (top, somewhere) and this needs to be replaced.

Thanks for this thread, Donald, but can I just ask this - are there advantages/disadvantages to dropping the whole axle to drop out both springs like you've done, or just letting the axle extend out to the shocks' limit and then compressing one spring at a time to replace?

Had I not read this, I would have instinctively left the shocks where they are and compressed the spring instead. Sounds a bit easier to do this, actually, if I just do the one spring than juggle with trying to get two springs in the right place at the same time (yeah, I know, best to replace in pairs but I'd prefer to do one at a time). I'm just a bit leary at trying to unbolt ancient bolts and pushing old bushings well beyond their usual range of movement. Also a bit concerned at putting the jack on the cross-member as I doubt it's designed to take that load there. Any thoughts one way or t'other would be most welcome. Thx.
Currently in donald68's garage:
Grand Espace 3 16v Auto, Scenic Dti Auto & Fluence ZE
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome