Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - leak in renault trafic

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 3rd November 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: leak in renault trafic

Hi all,

So I've been out in the sun all afternoon doing various jobs to the Trafic.
Main thing has been trying to take the old sealant off from the o/s high top guttering. Basically most of it could just be lifted out or crumbled, so that bit was fairly easy.
What was slightly less anticipated was that in doing this, basically an entire section (about 1.25m) of the actual guttering has come off. Not sure how it was attached but it wasn't particularly strong!
Anyway, on the upside this has made "rebuilding" some of the sealant bevel along the joint a bit easier. I used Tiger Seal as suggested, and Paul, your tip re. the lolly stick smoothing worked perfectly.
Considering this is my first time ever using a mastic gun (or indeed any type of sealant) it's probably awful, but if it does the job I'm happy.

One further question on this however. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-attach the guttering section??
I tried just using some of the same sealant but it basically popped straight back off, even after holding it on a fair while. I think it might be slightly bent so there is some tension in the wrong direction...

Am going to have a look tomorrow at different adhesive options, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Currently in jejoenje's garage:
1986 Renault Trafic T1000 AS Camper
The Following User Says Thank You to jejoenje For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (3rd November 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome