Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Can i drive after MOT fail or not?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 5th November 2013
Platinum member
Nominated 14 Times in 11 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Can i drive after MOT fail or not?

i did a search around as i have come up with the same problem before and this is what i found

Someone asked this question the other day, here's the answer I gave them...

"This is one of these questions that often gets a wide variety of wrong answers.

I asked the exact same question on a motoring forum a while back and got responses from several MOT testers and Police.

Once a car has been issued with a year's MOT there is no provision in law for that to be rescinded or over ruled, so a test fail does not 'cancel out' an existing test certificate.
Also there is nothing specific in the law (and remember, the law works on specifics...) that says that a car that fails an MOT while the previous certificate is still in force is 'illegal', any more than having a valid MOT certificate is any guarantee of the car's road-worthiness, indeed one of my cars suffered a brake lamp failure as I drove it off the garage forecourt clutching the fresh MOT I'd just been handed not ten minutes previously, but.....

If there are any issues that the new MOT throws up that relate to the road-worthiness of the vehicle then that IS a legal issue. You may find yourself open to prosecution for driving an unroadworthy car and you may find your insurance provider will take a failed MOT into account if there should be a claim.

Bottom line I think is that if it fails on something relatively minor like a failed sidelight or worn windscreen wipers then it's unlikely there would be any consequences, but if it throws up any major defects in the vehicles brakes, steering, suspension, structure etc, then you'd be unwise to continue to drive the car knowing the condition of it."

Currently in bugsb's garage:
MGF 1.8 1999/ honda hrv 2002/ x type jag se 2005
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bugsb For This Useful Post:
Bagpuss (5th November 2013), dharshana (19th June 2016), hondo (5th November 2013), karenlouise1967 (6th February 2014), Renoir White (5th November 2013), VelSatisfied (5th November 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome