Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Mk 3 Clio 3 Door Fuel Flap Stuck

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 5th November 2013
Mike H025
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Mk 3 Clio 3 Door Fuel Flap Stuck

Breaking News

Just before the weekend I discovered, quite by chance, that I've got this problem. Fortunately for me it's stuck in the unlocked position.

I discovered it by idly pulling the flap corner while car was locked, it opened! That means any scrote could come along in the middle of the night with a bit of tubing and help themselves to my petrol.

Either the plunger has stuck that way just by chance (?), or someone has forced it up so can then get access to filler cap, and sort it out more properly later (or, I'm trading the car in anyway so s*d it).

Now see this:

This guy reckons forget about making the flap lock work properly, it's all plastic anyway (personally I can't see it resisting much being levered open by a big screwdriver), just disable the solenoid gizmo and instead change the actual filler cap inside for a locking one.

Well I ordered one on Friday, but as I'm not allowed to advertise on here, you could try Googling "Renault Clio Mar 1998 Onwards Locking Fuel Cap PLC89_1"

Or, PM me if you want to know who I ordered it from ~ using their make/model/year search page(s), I selected it as Clio 3, 2010 (year).

Postman brought it today and it fits perfectly! Comes with two keys and cost about 18. You could probably find it on eBay as well (the outer cap is black, the inner rotating part with the latching tongues is red). The key cannot be removed in the unlocked position and you also need it to actually turn it to latch so you can't make any mistakes.

Proper job, I iz well chuffed with it.

Currently in Mike H025's garage:
Renault Clio III Ph2 facelift 1.2 16V 75 I-Music
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome