Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Towbar electrics on Renault Laguna 2

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Job done now, and I can confirm more or less exactly what was involved:
The wiring for the reversing lights and rear fog lights are connected directly to the wiring of the multiplug connector that's hidden behind the boot lining (this isn't applicable to the tourer.) The rear fog was wired with a 'cut out' switch in the socket, which disconnects the car's rear fog lights when a trailer is connected. The remaining lighting was run directly from the wiring behind the light clusters. There are no relays in any of these circuits apart from the buzzer for the indicators.

The supplimentary electrics are supplied by a 12v feed straight from the battery (via a 15 amp fuse) that runs along the underside of the car inside plastic conduit and through to the boot. A voltage sensing split-charge relay is used to split this into separate feeds for the permanent live, battery charge, and fridge feeds on the towing socket.

I even asked the fitter to settle the debate, and he's confident that the lighting on the Laguna II is not multiplexed. It seems that a lot of people either just assume that it is, or decide to play it safe just in case.

Maybe one of our resident Renault techs can clear this debate once and for all. It'd be nice to have a definitive answer from the horse's mouth.

Edit: I've been having another tinker, and found that the car has a 'soft switch' for the front and rear fog lights (brilliant! Now I can blind the fog light poser behind me without being a fog light poser myself): Twist forward for front fogs on/off and twist backwards for rear fogs on/off. The switch springs back to the middle. When either set of lights is turned on or off, I can hear a relay switching behind the dash. If the car had multiplex wiring for the lights, then surely any relay noise would be coming from a switching unit in the rear of the car.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 27th October 2005 at 06:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horatio For This Useful Post:
daztiday (4th May 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome