Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #266 of (permalink) Old 18th December 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by OG View Post
We're reading different articles then - it says there was a crash between a Clio and a truck and that they are appealing for witnesses. They appeal for witnesses on all fatal accidents.

I'm not suggesting you don't write to them, just that there is no connection with that article and the issue on this thread other than it's a Clio!
Yeah I see your point. My view is that they have not established a cause for the accident despite there being two casualties still alive i.e. the truck driver and the passenger in the Clio. What I understood was that neither of these survivors has given an acceptable explanation of the cause and the police are asking for help. Usually, a car might skid or a car swerves to avoid hitting a pedestrian or animal.... you know the sort of thing I'm on about.

In a post earlier in the thread I mentioned that the police are unlikely to investigate that avenue because of the obvious damage the vehicle would sustain but that if the devices were to be examined, they may reveal something that at first was not visible.

Sensationalism? In what circumstances would you become suspicious if a driver in an unexplained accident had become an "ex-driver", unable to point a finger?

I think the major problem here is that half of us believe the cause of these incidents to be poor maintenance or improper operation of the devices, while the other half think that even before the lock is engaged, the safety should have already become safe enough to hold the bonnet down at any speed the car is capable of, at least for long enough to bring the car to a halt without incident. Try it on any car by lowering the bonnet without locking and see if you can raise it again without first releasing the safety catch; I'm sure that is rhetorical because we all know that you can't unless the catch is faulty.

If the bonnet is still shut after the accident despite the damage sustained, it is obvious that it was locked at the time of impact; if it is open and up over the roof, it doesn't mean it has caused the accident but it does mean that it is worth looking at more closely. Either way, it's not going to take a lot of resources to establish.

I presume that both the involved vehicles were on their proper side of the road initially so what caused one of them to cross into the other's path? If this Clio's bonnet is still hooked at the front, we would know the bonnet didn't suddenly fly open and cause the driver to lose control; simple enough I think.

I must make a new-year resolution to stop watching Columbo.
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome