Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Central locking affected by cold weather?

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2005 Thread Starter
Dark Jupiter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy The continuing cold problem

I emailed Renault Customer Services in the UK and got a very prompt response however a pretty unhelpful one;
My mail
I am writing to you from a town in north Sweden called Luleå, next to the artic circle. I own a '99 Laguna estate 2.0 and on cold mornings 3 degrees or below the central locking will not open from the remote on the key. After trial and error it appears that the key is affected severely by the cold and ceases to operate until heated up. The batteries are obviously being affected badly however the key casing does not do much to insulate them from the cold. I assume that this car has been artic tested therefore can you advise me what I can do rectify this problem.

I am a member of the new and some of the guys there suggested that I ask you for some assistance. I would greatly appreciate anything you can do for me.

Renault Customer Services response;
Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Unfortunately this is not a problem that we have ever come across even when the temperatures drop below freezing in this country.

I believe there may be a fault with the actually key.

I would advise that you contact your local Renault dealership who will be able to text your keys and advise if any faults are found.

I hope that I have answered your question.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please give me a call on our freephone number 0800 072 33 72.

Ah I see my actually key needs to be texted...Why didn't I think of that

Anyway……I was sure that the cold was affecting the key and the receiver in the car was fine. I took the key apart and carefully packed in cotton wool all around the PCB and the batteries and resealed it. Tested to see if the LED illuminated and it did. I then went outside in -10 to the car pointed and pressed....

(I also tried the spare key that is not insulated with cotton wool and nothing there also)

I connected the car to the external power supply to heat the engine and the passenger compartment. While in the car I removed the remote receiver and heated it over the heater along with the key. Now I had two warm components. I reconnected them and tested them. Still nothing.

The central locking works fine from the switch in the centre console its just the remote circuit that is affected in this manner.

I will have to revise my original problem theory. I now think that it may be two problems.

A. The key components getting cold and not emitting a signal.
B. Another component in the circuit (obviously) that is very temperature sensitive but one that warms when the car is operational and begins to function at higher temperatures! Which component, no idea.

I will have a look at some circuit diagrams to see if I can identify particular component. If anybody has any good suggestions please let me know.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome