Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - koleos big mistake in purchasing

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11th November 2013
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: koleos big mistake in purchasing

Originally Posted by andrewf4854 View Post
I only joined this forum 2 days ago and I'm already suffering from depression. The amount of problems being reported regarding Renault's ultra modern, efficient, economic diesel engines is unbelievable. How can a "market leader" allow such a monstrosity be fitted to an otherwise desirable vehicle. Every fault listed has appeared on my Koleos and like many others, has spent more time in the dealership's forecourt (waiting for highly trained technicians to finish scratching their heads). Just out of curiosity, when my DPF light first came on I looked in the driver manual for advice. Yes, it does tell you to drive the car at a certain speed for a certain distance/time. However, I can't see, ANYWHERE, in the book that this has to be done on a regular basis. I bought the car 2nd hand but from a Renault Franchisee . Now someone, somewhere, in a Renault dealership must have known the inherent problems with these beasts and advised me on this before selling it. Anyway, there might be some light at the end of the tunnel, just received a call from the "Branch Manager" asking me to call in for a chat. Wouldn't have anything to do with the nasty letter I'd sent to their head office would it? Keep you posted.
My renault which I bought new, in 2011 has a dpf.
Ive had problems with that, of my own doing detailed elsewhere on forums.
The manual itself has no dpf self regen section at all

My last car before this in Europe,non renault, the engine self destructed at 13000 miles from new(cambelt)

When I was buying mine I checked into lots of other makes.Specifically on a 2011 polo diesel, I was told by the salesman : If you arent going to do at least one journey pw, on an open road, in excess of 50 miles..go for the petrol instead.We spend a lot of time doing dpf regens on models that are just being driven around locally.Whether this included other vw models or not, I dont know.

Ive only owned one other renault before a 9 (used) only 2 years old and sold within 6 months,it actually spent some time driving around to collect bits to repair an early audi 80(pos), but it did what it said on the tin.
The koleos is one of the short lifespan models,in the Uk anyway, made in Korea according to wiki ..should be alrite you would think ,but investigate..your rights/amount of time its been off the road since purchased,guarantee etc objectively and see what you can come up with.
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome