Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hot Jet Washer Lifted???

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 24th December 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

what you need to do is feather the old laqure back as if you dont you will end up with a raised out line where the original laqure was, 800 grit the edges untill you cant feel it and its a gradual fade into the existing laqure,now scotch brite the area where you are intending to spray,and then clean the full panel with degreaser, now paper round the area and then paper some more as over spray will find its way onto other panels, now degrease it again, now for spraying,give the spray can a bloxxy good shake, dont spray to close to the paper as you will end up with a hard edge so keep away from the paper and make sure you have enough room to drift a small amount laqure on you edges of where you have sprasyed for polishing,warm the panel up first and hold the can about 4-5 inchs away from the bottom of where you want to spray,and work your way up wetting each over lap as you go,dont go too close to the edges,or put on to heavy, as you will get a run, get a hair dryer or heat gun and warm the laqure to allow it to cure quicker,feel the edges of the paper where you will have a bit of overspray on it and if it feels tacky its ready for a 2nd coat to shine, put this on slightly wetter than the first coat as this is your final coat,and do exactly what you did previous bottom to top but not to close to the edges, once youve done this peel a bit of paper back and with short bursts of the can fade your edges in a outwards movement so there no hard edges, rip the paper off and once done warm the panel up for 5-10min then leave it for a good 2hrs to dry

now if youve done it right it will be ready to polish,use some wet and dry and flat the tops off the airbourne particals in your laqure,then using some g3 polish it up including the areas around it where you faded it in, all done

i may know this method as im a painter,and do not condone this method but it can be done as it is called a smart repair,but it ma y well go wrong and could end up costing you more when a body shop has to put it right

my advice,take it to a paint shop,who will do the job right,and who has a good reputation,it will pay dividend,trust me ive seen it when people do a diy job

phew i need a cuppa coffee
Currently in DEEJAY 225's garage:
2006 megane 225 CUP
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome