Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Help With My R19 16v

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 30th October 2005
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
It sounds to me like you're alternator isn't charging (is the charge (battery) light on the dash on, even dimly when driving?

Replacing the battery would allow it to start, leaving it to stand 6 days wouldn't affect the new battery as it would hold it's charge ok. But once you use the car, if the alternator isn't keeping the battery charged, the car will be running on just the battery, which will drain it pretty quickly. So when you go to start the car again you'll have a flat battery.

If you go to a local motor factor, they'll often do you a free charging check there and then. It's only putting a a multimeter across the battery and checking the voltage change when the engine is revved.

I'd say deffo the alternator though. If you have a local auto electrics repair place, they'll test and overhaul your alternator (if it's off the car), often much cheaper than buying a reconditioned one, as it may only be a cheap part that's gone.

Currently in HD462's garage:
2000 Renault Laguna 1.9dti estate
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome