Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Roof Bar Fitting Information

View Single Post
post #73 of (permalink) Old 15th November 2013
Mk1 Cruiser
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic 1 - Roof Bar Fitting Information

I have a 2003 Scenic 1.4 Fidji. Contrary to what some people are saying, it is not too bad a job fitting roof bars to this model. I bought a set off EBay for about 45 and except for a bit of missing trim they are fine and the locks all work - after applying a bit of oil .
You have to take off the full length roof strips (where fitted) and underneath you'll find the gutter that the strip is pressed into contains a number of pre-machined shapes up and down the whole length. This means that the roof brackets can be fitted to at least three different positions. The roof strips may have been smeared with a tacky putty/sealant before they were fitted originally. Clean this off where required and the brackets just fit into these machined shapes quite easily. You could then do i) leave them as they are, ii) cut the strips to fit around the roof bar brackets (a good hacksaw will do this quite easily) or iii) Go to a Renault main dealer and buy new strips that contain slideable strips to suit, but will cost you magabucks.

I've cut mine to fit the gaps around the roof brackets and they are fine. The whole job took me about and hour and a half.

Good luck.
Currently in Mk1 Cruiser's garage:
2010 Kangoo Combi 1.5DCi
The Following User Says Thank You to Mk1 Cruiser For This Useful Post:
Kess wood (16th November 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome