Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vel Satis 2.2dci fuel economy?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 28th December 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
Hi there, I have a 3.0 DCi Auto. I don't know how many miles yours has covered or if its manual or auto, but I wouldn't say that these figures are worryingly low (they are quite close to mine). It has to be borne in mind that these cars are very heavy, so a smaller, less powerful engine (albeit more efficient - 4 cylinders vs 6 cylinders), has to work harder to haul the car around. Plus, they aren't the most aerodynamic shapes, having to punch quite a sizeable hole in the air. (The reason I state this is in the hope that your fuel economy expectations haven't been raised due to 'official figures' often being quoted).

I found using a diesel fuel additive helped to increase the economy, and indeed averaged 43mpg for a 700-odd mile round trip to Wales. This included the Wife & baby, plus luggage.

Changing the oil & filters will make an improvement, as will ensuring your tyres are at the correct pressures, and trying to drive with economy in mind (i.e. looking ahead, changing up early, and so on). Fuel economy also drops at this time of year due to the engine running rich for a greater duration, plus all the extra ancillaries being used take their toll.

Enjoy your car, you are in a very exclusive motor.

totally agree also might include turning thinks off like air con which conrtibutes to 5-10% more fuel,also put the heaters on cold rather than opening the window,co efficent drag, the best one is already quated by vel satisfied to plan and judge things like traffic lights and traffic,which will dramatically improve eco, also remove heavy objects from the boot or car that is not necessary,for your journey,ive found doddeling in a to high gear uses more fuel as the engine dumps more fuel to attain the speed in that gear,

what fuel additive did you use vel satisfied? and what extra mpg did you get due to the additive?
Currently in DEEJAY 225's garage:
2006 megane 225 CUP
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome