Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Bit of a draught! aka It always rains in Manchester.

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 31st December 2006 Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking It's raining again - but it is sunny on my drive!

Thanks to Glenda who answered my question, I have managed to do it.

For anyone else who wants to know how I did it...

Parts needed...

Star screwdriver (not Philips or Posi but STAR)

Spare car battery or your main battery if you don't mind removing it.

Someone to help.

Some bell wire - about a metre.

First off disconnect your battery.

Remove the door pocket and disconnect the wiring loom from the switches.
Remove the speaker panel, interior lock handle and courtesy handle and door trim so you can see inside the door.

You should see three bolts in a triangular formation. These hold the motor inside the door. To the left of these you should have a hole - it might be covered in grey foam, just peel this off.

If you look in the hole you can see the wires that go to the motor.

Now get your bell wire and separate into two long strips - about a meter should do. Strip the ends.

Now one person needs to touch two ends to the connectors on the motor and the other person needs to touch the terminals on the battery.

It might spark a bit but don't worry.

Depending which way round you have the wires the window will either go up or try to go down. So the person touching the battery may need to swap the wires around to reverse the polarity to the motor.

This should do it.

Just do the reverse to put it all back together again.

Ok now onto the down side, if this does not work you may have a damaged motor. Just double check that the beel wire is making contact withe the motor terminals and not the plastic coating around the wires connected to it.

If it does work - great - don't forget though you will still need to locate and fix the problem that caused the malfunction in the first place.

So my window is now up - thank God as it has started raining again! But it does not work at all so I still need to find a new relay switch.

It was quite easy to do in the end but I will help out anybody who needs more advice - just mail me at

Cheers everyone and a Happy New Year to you all.

Currently in broomgrove's garage:
1994 Clio 1.9dRT
broomgrove is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome