Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New user....Coil unit trouble

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 31st December 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to Nykola
The coil pack failure is a typical fault on the Mk 1 clio, Ph 1, 2 and 3. Obvioucly yours is a Ph3, bug eye model.

To be honest if the coil pack had failed it would not run or start at all, as it is the coil that distributes the sark to all plugs, and I ahve never heard of them not sending spark to only 1 plug before. they are a sealed unit and I have never heard of them goin as I say on only one plug, only all 4. The replacement coil pack can be bought from any motor factors, like Halfords.

Personally I would pay the 30/40 for a proper auto electrician to look at it first, they will identify the problem in seconds. They usually charge around 30/40 to come out and the first half hours time.

the coil pack will cost you around 25/30 from halfords if this is indeed the problem. It may be as Nationwide said, a faulty lead, and they advised you to rpelace the coil pack as a precuation.

Ring an autoelcetrician out first to save you time and money, you could replace 100 things before you get to the root of the problem.
Currently in Nykola's garage:
1995 Clio 1.8 16V
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome