Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Jacking Point - Laguna I

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 1st January 2007 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Axle Stands

Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
When jacking up a client's car to leave on axle stands, I will always try to position the stands as close to the hub as is stable to do. This keeps the weight of the car where it would be if it were supported by a wheel. Also, keep the axle stand as low as it can be to minimise movement/tilting. You don't say if it is completely being raised or if it is only one side/end, but the overall principle is the same.
Much of my experience in the trade is on what is now considered "classic" cars which had axles and chassis members which could easily support the weight.

Most modern vehicles should not be jacked / supported by suspension components and what appears to be a chassis leg is often not strong enough.

I have only recently bought my Laguna and wanted to get the front driver's side wheel off (and will eventually be changing the disks) but the method suggested by the Haynes manual resulted in a distorted sill.

Many modern cars have jacking pad locations for 2-post lifts / trolley jacks and I was hoping someone could point me to where these are on the Laguna. (Never use the emergency jack when working under a car; seen too many collapse).

Currently in Gasjunkie's garage:
Renault Laguna Executive 3.0l 24V V6 Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome