Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Grande Scenic - Stage 3 car seats don't fit

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 1st January 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Childrens Safety?

I have ordered a Grand Scenic in the belief that it is a very safe car for carrying our grandchildren. Now I'm a wee bit worried after reading your posting that none of the regular car seats will fit into the stage 3 seats. Do they fit into the second stage seats without problems? What about booster seats, will they fit without problems into the stage 3 seats? If this is a serious issue, I may be forced to withdraw my contract with Renault, cancel the grand scenic and go to another dealer. Gael33

Originally Posted by pauldv View Post
I am new to the forum but fall into the very unhappy Renault customer category.

My reason for posting is to try and find any other owners with the same or similar experince and problem, according to Renault I am alone but I cannot believe this.

Background - we bought an ultra safe car because we care about our kids. Kids grow up, new car seat needed because they are to big for a stage 2 seat, happens to be about the same time as the new legislation. Easy, lets buy two new seats stage 3 seats.

After visiting 2 x Halfords and 1 x Mothercare the verdict was that no independant manufactured stage 3 car seat will fit and operate correctly in the Grande Scenic. The reason being that the seat belt mounting on the column is a long way forward, this gives bad angles for the belt around the seat head rests and through the guide slots. All is well when you put the child in but because the belt does not lock the child moves but the belt can not recoil itself back to provide a tensioned belt.

OK, bite the bullet and pay the extra for the Renault one;
Attempt 1 - Hipsos - shown in the child seat brochure for the Scenic - no does not work.
Attempt 2 - Ergos - dealer unable to source showing way out of stock and no lead time.
Attempt 3 - Kidplus - new seat perhaps this is the answer, dealer orders, tried and failed.
Attempt 4 - long wait. Ergos arrives (I am now known at Customer Services), promised that it fits and is waiting for you. Rubbish this is worse than the last one.

I am sure my frustrations are clear, what car seats do other Grande Scenic owners use and is this problem sounding familiar. My wife is about to start using my BMW as the only way we can legally and safely transport our children. So much for our 5* car.
Currently in Gael33's garage:
2010 Renault Grand Scenic Privelege 1.5dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome