Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Jacking Point - Laguna I

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 1st January 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Just to clarify a point, I wasn't actually suggesting jacking a car up from a suspension arm. I have raised and supported many cars by supporting the hub with an axle stand (this can usually only be done once the wheel is off, to give adequate clearance). getting the axle stand to meet-up with as close to the hub as is possible ensures that the suspension is supporting the car (which is, after all, what its designed to do, and would do if it were a wheel/tyre that was supporting the car, rather than an axle stand). I would not suggest using a link arm or anything else like that, as not only are they too weak, they will send the suspension geometry all to pot.

When I raise a car, its to remove the alloys for refurbishing, not to change components, so I accept that what works for my purpose isn't going to be appropriate for all.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome