Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - abs & service light

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 22nd November 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: abs & service light

Hello everyone I am from N.Ireland and I (did) drive a RenaultSport Megane 225 06' and have recently experienced this problem. I am on here to get advice on this problem and share my experience so others experiencing this do not go through the same problems that it have encountered.

Unfortunately I ignored this for a while as the lights came on intermittently (both the traction control and ABS lights) and experienced a grinding feeling.. i was going to get milk from the shops the other morning and experienced no problem (no lights on) but as I returned home was about to brake to give way to a car coming towards me round a corner as it was a bit tight and my brakes failed to work and i crashed into them and then into a parked car. Biggest scare of my life and a complete shock for everyone involved luckily he got stopped and i was going around 10mph or so.

The feeling of the brakes was like you are on black ice and the abs is kicking in.. The insurance company (Axa) could not find anything physically wrong with the brakes and which I recently got new OEM disks and pads and full MOT prep. Car passed MOT on the Mon 11th November. Worryingly.

For the reasons of insurance I could not mention to them that I had seen warning lights on my dash or that would invalidate my insurance. If they were on permanently I might have down something about it but they would come on for a minute and off and you would forget.

I asked my insurance if they had done a diagnostic test and they will not perform any more work to my car so Im going to have to see about ABS sensors etc at my own really shouldn't stop the brakes form functioning but that's what happened..imagine my surprise when you brake gently to stop a car and nothing happens then it was too late to apply the hand brake. New bumper and grills req'd..thankfully not enough force to deploy airbags. But if I was doing my usual morning drive and braking down from mph on a downwards off-slip and my brakes failed i dread to think what would happen to any one in my path.. I would have to stick it in a wall.

If you experience anything odd about your brakes like they are giving way on down slopes or ABS lights or stability control light come on. I cant encourage you enough to get all aspects including abs sensors etc checked. I have yet to get to the root cause of the incident but it wasn't from apply enough brake pressure. The car is currently at a Renault garage as they are the approved repairers so I may have to get them to check as they will not do anymore work on the car as they are not authorised by my insurance.

Any ideas on this? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Currently in mcrurt's garage:
Renault Sport 06 Megane 230 F1
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome