Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Mileage checking

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 23rd November 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Mileage checking

First and only service was done at a Peugeot dealer - just my luck! Probably happened as Barnsley no longer has a Renault Dealership since Dixon's went under. Dealer who serviced car was Harrats, so a reputable dealer with Renault branches in neighbouring towns, but Renault Customer Services had no record of the service. They didn't have a record of the car from its registration, but say that is normal for a non dealer network supplied car. They tracked the car from the VIN and can confirm that it is a full UK spec car ordered by a car supermarket direct from the factory in France, but couldn't confirm which car supermarket ordered it. The single previous registered keeper says he bought it new from the Car People, who have confirmed they supplied it to him brand new with zero miles on the clock, so that all checks out. I guess that makes it a parallel import.

The guys business story checks out - he is recorded on various online websites as being the owner of two building company's within the last 10 years - slight change of name for the same company at the same address part way through, so his story about using a van as his daily commuter checks out.

The MOT station that tested the car on its first MOT say they believe they made a typographical error, but have no records to support that. The previous owner says he just accepted the MOT cert and filed it, never checking the details - we all have busy lives and I can believe that, though it is rather stupid and has made a pig of things now.

I have considered this carefully after researching as much of the car as possible, and all I have been told checks out as far as I can see. I think it is probably genuine, as a few hundred miles in the first 12-18 months (I can't remember the exact mileage and date on the service book stamp - the dealer did show me the book), compared to 35k in the next 18 months, then 4k in next 12 months, and approx 500 a year thereafter is highly unlikely. If the 1st MOT was a typo and should have been 3532 instead of 35532, then each year the car would have done between about 500 and about 1500 miles, which stacks up fine. And the interior, bodywork and engine of the car looks as though it has just driven out of the factory, which would support the current mileage.

The only real doubt that now remains is that, assuming we don't get on with the smaller vehicle (moving from a Kangaroo - that's my affectionate name for our Kangoo), and want to sell the Megane CC in the near future while it still has significant value (the asking price is 4980), we may run into the self same problem with the potential new owners, and then the car won't look quite so 'brand new' as we have no garage to house it in, and the leather seats will have stretched more. Think I am going to go back to the dealer and present a case for a further discount to compensate for this factor - eg, present the potential problem, ask them to determine the difference in value between a 5k and a 41k model (because the history shows mileage that adds up to 41k), and knock that amount (or near) off the price as a good will jest urge, which will go part way towards the 70 we have lost messing around with the insurance.

Will let you all know how we get on
Currently in Glynn's garage:
2005 Megane 1.6 Priv
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome