Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - clio headlights - steaming up

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 2nd January 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
What you have is moisture in the headlamp unit, which is normally airborne (and invisible) in warmer weather. 2 ways to tackle this depending on whether moisture is 'trapped' in a sealed unit following a bulb change, or if the sealed has been breached, allowing water in.
Mark I Focuses had this problem, the cause of which was determined by running the light on main beam with the lens covered by black paper and the sidelight bulb removed. This would cause the unit & air within it to heat up, dispelling the moisture, then after around 10 mins with the light on, switch off and carefully replace the sidelight bulb as soon as possible. If unit was sealing properly - moisture will not return, if moisture returns, the lens is not seated properly, and its up to you whether to repair or replace.

The above is a simple enough & cheap test, which will either repair the problem, or point you in the right direction.
I've seen this work on my Scorpio.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome