Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Switching oil types

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 1st November 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by selwonk
With all the discussions about the dCi turbo problems, this may spark some discussion. I can't, unfortunately, reveal the source:Very interesting!
I'm totally confused now with all the discussions about this state of affairs regarding the beleagured DcI Turbo and its inherent problems.

I bought mine privately 3 months ago with 113k on the clock (nothing for a diesel engine these days....), all the service history was up to date by Renault Dealerships, which inspired me to buy a 2nd generation Laguna.
My trust in them fuelled by my previous very reliable 1.8 Sport with 160k in hand.

Six weeks after buying it, it developed a whine which I suspected to be the turbo .

Putting it down to 'bad luck' I booked the car in for a full diagnostic check which confirmed my worst fears, it needed a complete new turbo system.

I contacted Renault UK asking if they would like to contribute to the costs as the car had been serviced regularly through their dealer network, I even offered to meet them halfway in the knowledge that the mileage was high but was turned down.

1400+ later the car was returned to me, within 2 hours the glow plug light came on intermittently with a noticable decrease in power. It smoked quite badly too, very embarrasing - still, it didnt matter, whoever would have been behind couldn't see my number plate anyway!!

Note they used Elf Excellium 5/40.

Another 200+ pounds later and a new EGR valve fitted and an assurance that all should now be well, I ventured out into the darkness (tonight). We will see in the near future if the problems are solved.

I would like to point out that my local Renault dealer, Rawlinson in Bury St Edmunds were very helpful. I thought I'd mention this as Main Dealerships get a lot of flack these days.

So, to clear my mind and help me to get the best out of this, can anyone give me a qualified answer as to:

(1) What oil to use?
(2) How often between services?
(3) What is the flushing procedure?
(4) Will using 'Slick 50' help matters?

Currently in Nick's garage:
Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome