Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 1998 Grand Espace RXE Boot Door LOCK!

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007 Thread Starter
Shaun wall
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile grand espace back door lock

Congrats Bagpiper, but I think Andy's may be the previous model [12v G8T engine?] to yours.

The bad *******s on this back door are the screws hidden behind the red reflectors each side of the number plate. Its torx and tiny sockets [7?]all the way.

My lock problem [and possibly Andy's too was not oxidation but a broken spring clip on the longer steel rod going to the offside receiver. I totally take your point that WD40 is the solution to rust.

Activating the handle on my grand espace rxe activated only the nearside rod. Door remained locked on the offside so could not be open. But because all the bits were there and the rod had not fully disconnected it eventually opened as I said in the earlier message.

Go for it Andy. You have my e-mail and I'm still looking for the notes I think I wrote at the time. lol

When you get in that far and see what I mean you may go the route I did and gum the broken spring cllp to its rod, with a good dollop of plastic weld carefully applied so that it would not mess up anything else when it hardens.

My repair worked perfectly, though I did leave the rear panel off for nearly a month to be sure to be sure!

Grand Espace Does It With More Espace to Espare!
Currently in Shaun wall's garage:
98 Grand Espace RXE 2.2G8T mit leather and air-con
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome