Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - problem with my clio mk 2 starting

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007
JetPil0t

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy

Hi GeordieClio/All

I know that this problem's been solved, but I also have a clio starting problem, and GeordieClio's questions are just right - please can someone help.

Background: Mine's a 2002 1.4 16v. Recently had a service (at about 40,000 miles) including 2 coils replaced (conveniently they had failed the day before), cambelt, water pump, etc etc. The service failed to fix the starting problem (as I had hoped) so I then replaced the TDC on my own. Still the problem persists (intermittently). Herewith the diagnostic information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeordieClio View Post
Did the car splutter at all during the journey or have any difficulties?
Sometimes it still does have a little splutter (or feels like it). It also cut out whilst driving twice, but that hasn't happened since I replaced the TDC about 3 months ago.

Quote:
Also, when you initialy go to start the car does it crank over alright? As if theres enough power in the battery.
Yes it does turn over (and over and over!) but just doesn't fire. Normally takes between 5-10 tries for it to start when this problem happens.

Quote:
When you went to restart the engine after the trip was the engine warm? or still cold.
Problem almost always occurs when the engine is hot.

Quote:
A TDC sensor would seem the likely cause, they are a common fault.
Like I said, have already replaced it. Could the new one be faulty?

PS - MODs pls feel free to move to a seperate thread if you wish; it was just easier to post here where GC had all the right questions
Currently in JetPil0t's garage:
2002 Clio II 1.4 Expression 5-dr

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome