Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Switching oil types

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 1st November 2005
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I've seen a number of postings on other forums (dieselcar, parkers) about this subject and the common theme seems to be around the oil quality and the oil change interval. The opinion seems to be, use a 5w40 fully synthetic oil and change the oil more frequently than Renault suggest. The service booklet I have recommends an oil change every 6,000 miles and in small print its says if the car is used for door to door city driving half this to 3,000 miles. I think the 18,000 mile interval is far too long and I'll be having my oil changed every 6,000 miles with a fully synthetic oil .

What I understand about the flushing point is that if the engine used mineral oil for a while (>12,000mls) then there could be a build up of carbon deposits in the engine. The synthetic oil will clean these deposits away - so will have the effect of flushing the engine, so if you do change to a synthetic oil you should either flush the engine first or do another oil change earlier than you would normally do. If your car has less miles than this then there should be fewer of these deposits and using a synthetic oil will help to keep them at a minimum so no need for flushing.

I've got an imported Scenic 1.5dCI and was blissfully unaware of this issue when I bought it. I really like the car and would like to keep it for a while, so I'll be careful about the oil - what else can you do?
Currently in davey's garage:
2005 Scenic 1.5Dci (VF1JMRF)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome