Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hands-Free Renault Card

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I have the handsfree system on the Lag II, and in theory, the card never has to leave your pocket (though it's probably a good idea if you're going to put your trousers in the washing machine.) If the system can sense that the card is outside the car but close by, the unlocking system is enabled. Once the system can sense that the card is inside the car, the immobiliser is disabled and starting is allowed. The card slot is still there, but it's only needed on the odd occasion when the car mysteriously refuses to start on hands-free (mine's probably done that about a dozen times in the year or so that I've had it.)

But retro-fitting this system is a non-starter (pardon the pun) on all models. You would need new cards, the car would have to be re-wired with the receiving antennae for the handsfree system, and the UCH would no doubt need re-programming. Not impossible, but the work would almost certainly need to be carried out by a dealer, and I doubt you'd find many prepared to take it on. Even if you find one that will, it'll be hideously expensive for what's basically a convenience feature.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome