Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grande Espace 2.2 dt 1999

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 2nd November 2005
Shaun wall
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Try keeping a brief diary for a month. Enter every trip , the time it started and finished and the mileage as per the 'real' speedometer. The main reason I got 42 between Wales and Essex was that it was one continuous run with only one cold start. The 34 is more realistic as it includes many cold starts in the morning.

I was involved years ago in a consumption test in MINIS, using sohisticated metering equipment. After a cold start on a cold morning we saw 19pmg during the first two miles, gradually improving to about 30 as the thermostat and water temp settled. But when the BLOCK temperature stabilised (after 30 miles!) she hit 45mpg. We then did a steady 55mph over a ten mile section and showed an unbelievable 68mpg during the 11 minutes we held that speed. There was more and one thing we tried was yo-yo driving where we went from 30 to 60 and let it fall back and repeat, with plenty of cowboy-like behaviour, braking without reason flooring the throttle etc. My Mini showed 32mpg during that.

BTW, in the Espace I change from 1st TO 2nd at 12mph, 2nd to 3rd at 23mph, 3rd to 4th at 34mph and 4th to 5th at 45 leaving top speed as 56. Can you see the pattern which helps me remember which gear to be at all speeds and also allows me to top 45mpg anytime I want to?

I do miss not having a rev counter on the Espace
Currently in Shaun wall's garage:
98 Grand Espace RXE 2.2G8T mit leather and air-con

Last edited by Shaun wall; 9th August 2006 at 08:24 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome