Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear Door Lock Replacement*with pictures*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Rear Door Lock Replacement*with pictures*

Last year, the driverís side rear door locked itself and flatly refused to open, even when I offered it a bribe!

Of course it was the dreaded Megane broken door locks disease-a problem that seems to affect many a poor Meg owner. The usual result is your friendly Renault dealer relieving you of at least £80 and at least a days worth of labour costs. This was money I simply didnít have. You have to have the door open to get the screw out which hold the lock in place in order to replace it, but the door was locked shut.

Anyhoo, after much head scratching, swearing, hokeing and poking around inside the door with a bent up metal coat hanger, I finally sparked up my gas axe ready to cut the blasted door lock out!

Common sense prevailed and I shut down my torch and headed in the direction of my local breakers yard.

Of course there was only one Megane in the entire stock of 1000 or so cars-And sods law saw to it that someone had already helped themselves to the rear driversí side door lock. Bum!

Out of curiosity, I fished out the driversí door lock with a view to seeing if it was similar enough for me to work out how it works and thus work out how to release the offending article on my own car.

Within an hour or so, I was back at home with the door open and the broken lock some three or four gardens away-I did throw it rather hard! I also managed to modify the front door lock so that it fitted in place of the rear lock. You need to swap the little lever for the kiddie lock over and you canít fix it so that the door locks and unlocks using the little button on at the top of the door. The door now works in the same manner as a front door and unlocks from the inside as you operate the handle. The little button now sort of flops around and does nothing but fills a hole.

The total price for the repair? £3!

Then last night the passenger side rear door refused to open! So guess what Iíll be doing this weekend!

PS, I think a Laguna door lock is similar enough to modify and fit and for some reason, there are loads of them in the scrap yard.
Currently in Cerberus's garage:
1998 Megan 1.6RT Sport
The Following User Says Thank You to Cerberus For This Useful Post:
mattsdomino (27th October 2012)
  5 Lastest Threads by Cerberus
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Similarities between Megane and 19 Cars & motoring Cerberus 2 1394 2nd February 2007 09:35 PM
Rear Door Lock Replacement*with pictures* Bodywork caffeinated 48 74080 5th January 2007 06:36 PM
Renault racing-Donnington-free tickets Cars & motoring FastFingers 6 2007 16th April 2006 08:16 PM
Ow do! Welcome to RenaultForums chris m 5 1756 8th April 2006 03:53 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome