Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace advice please

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Bernie I have one of the first Phase 3's 97>02 and it is a peach.Its done 152.000 miles and has a full Renault history.With all the service sheets so I know that it has had some money spent on it.Top spec at the time with a Full Leather trim.This has the same engine as the laguna 2.2d,The one you are looking to buy has the DCI engine and they are prone to turbo failure if not serviced regularly enough as Lagdti has said.Do a search for turbo failure.

The other things to look for are the clutch assembly/master and slave cylinders,If you buy one make sure these have been replaced recently.Cambelt replacement (if applicable)The digital dash can play up and is expensive to replace.My strut top has started knocking so maybe look at these(should be no need if it a low miler)If it has wind up sunroofs these leak a little in heavy rain if the car is standing.Mine has had 4 oil coolers in 8 years(but i dont think the DCI has the same arrangement?)Breaks can wear quickly if driven hard(heavy car 1700kg)

If I were you I would try and find one with a late DTI engine with as few miles as poss,I think they changed the engines in 2000

Mine is good for 37/38mpg around town and is always full as I have 5 kids

There are a few niggles as you would expect but mine has been well looked after and am hoping it will last me a good 5 years

But as a people carrier it ticks all the boxes for me.I had 2 Laguna 1's before and liked the styling so the next step was the Espace

Ive added a pic of mine and a pic showing the difference in size between the Standard and the Grand(I removed the second one cause I got paranoid about copyright rules)

Hope a few more of the Espace owners give their views as there are a few DCI owners on here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1976  

I wear the trousers in our house

She just tells me what colour :D
Currently in zinx's garage:
1998 Grand Espace RXE Full Leather 2.2dt G8T

Last edited by zinx; 5th January 2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: grammar
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome