Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Automatic wipers

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 3rd November 2005
Platinum member
Horatio's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,475
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 95 Times in 64 Posts
The Laguna ones definitely aren't the best I've seen. I was hoping the 2005 model would be an improvement over the 2002 (the sensors appear to be different for starters) but there doesn't seem to be much in it.

The fact that you have to switch them off and back on to get them to work is a pain. This must be one of those stupid Renault quirks that other manufacturers have the sense not to implement (a bit like not telling you how many miles you have left in the tank once the fuel low light comes on.)

I find that the rain sensors are particularly poor in light spray. They'll let the droplets build up to the point where they seriously affect visibility, but they often won't even consider wiping the screen. They do occasionally go into 'fast wipe' for one or two wipes for no immediately obvious reason, though I suspect it's because a single large blob of water has landed on the sensor. This is particularly likely if you happen to be driving under overhanging trees at the time.

About 90% of the time, I'd say they do a good job, though you only realise just how good when you end up driving a car that doesn't have them. That said, it'd be nice to have the option of manual, variable speed intermittent for the remaining 10% of the time when the rain sensors seem incapable of doing the job properly.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
Horatio is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome