Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace - How To Replace Display Panel Bulbs(with pics)

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 7th January 2007 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Renault Espace - How To Replace Display Panel Bulbs(with pics)

When I first bought the Espace a couple of months ago, some tell-tale bulbs were not working so I decided to 'give it a go' without any real knowledge of what I was doing.

When I put it all back together, sods law came into effect and I realised that some of the backlight bulbs had blown

So today I proceeded to replace these and took a few pics hoping it would help others (sorry about the picture quality - they were taken on my mobile).

So, here it is - the unlit bits of the display:

Firstly, you need to remove the dash mounted speakers. The grilles can be pulled upwards carefully:

Then, you need to remove the speakers themselves which are held in place by three torx screws each:

And then disconnect the speaker cable:

Repeat this for the other speaker.

With the speakers completely removed, you should now be able to lift the top fascia away. To do this, lift at one speaker end and gently pull it upwards to that the three pop thingys (like those that hold the door card) are release from the top of the display. Then lift the fascia upwards and towards you. You will need to slightly angle the fascia to get it out:

With the fascia moved out of the way, all that remains is 5 more torx screws - the locations of which can be identified from the photo's below:

Middle of the display:

You can now gently lift the display out but be careful of the cables behind it. I did not remove any connectors as the bulbs are fairly easily accessible without disconnecting anything any further:

I knew I needed the wedge type bulbs, but I wasn't sure what rating. I used 2.6W, but for anybody else wanting to do this, the bulbs you need are 2.2W.

With the bulbs replaced and everything tested (I learnt from last time!), everything can be put back together in the reverse order of removal.

There you go, the finished result :

Start to finish, the job took about an hour, unlike the first time. Hope this will help others
Currently in TazzyK's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Privilege (2004), Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 106 Expression (2005), Volkswagon Passat 2.0 TDi S (2006), Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic Lusso (2008)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TazzyK For This Useful Post:
Ajax (7th October 2012), MéganeDynamique (28th October 2011), pjl 52 (6th November 2011)
  5 Lastest Threads by TazzyK
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Service Observations - Clio II Engines ours2012 5 269 24th May 2016 08:33 PM
Megane Parking / Hand Brake Cable Problem Brakes/Hubs ours2012 6 392 16th May 2016 08:57 PM
Weird Window Problem (Megane II) Electronics TazzyK 4 268 7th May 2016 05:14 PM
Megane II Door Pocket / Box Lid Broken Interiors TazzyK 0 334 4th December 2015 12:57 PM
CV Joint / Driveshaft Or Something Else? Transmissions flying clutchman 3 358 17th November 2015 07:14 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome