Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 2 - Buying Advice

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 7th January 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
An IDE should be badged 2.0 IDE on the doors. The later VVT is (I think) badged 2.0 16v instead.

Rumour has it (almost from the horse's mouth, mind you) that the reason for the withdrawal of the IDE was down to serious and very expensive reliability issues. The scare stories mention engines often needing replacing with as little as 50K miles on the clock.

But nobody's ever told us what proportion of the engines suffered from these problems. If as few as 5% required replacement, that might be enough for Renault to scrap the design in favour of a more reliable one, while still meaning that 95% of the cars are fine. At least one of our members has an IDE with nearly 200K on the clock that still hasn't shown the serious problems that have caused the scare.

Having had an IDE that was a bit of a dog reliability-wise, I doubt I'd touch another one. It's a shame really, because it's an excellent engine when it's running right: Reasonably powerful for a 2.0 non- turbo petrol, and with much better torque characteristics than your typical multivalve petrol engine.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome