Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Non Starter ? - TDC and tips

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 4th November 2005
Horatio
Platinum member

Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by selwonk
First auto I had, I thought I'd broken it in the first week. I was cleaning the interior and put it in Drive to clean around the gear stick. Came to put it back on the drive - wouldn't start.
My Audi used to do that in park or neutral sometimes too. You had to jiggle the gear lever around a bit to close the contacts on the switch. When I finally got around to investigating it, I discovered that a little pin had unscrewed itself and dropped out. This was the pin that prevented you from changing between certain gears without pressing the button on the side of the gear lever. So it turns out there was nothing to stop you going from drive to reverse or reverse to park with the car in motion.

Once I screwed the pin back in, the starting problem went away.

The Laguna has caught me out a couple of times, normally when I've leant it to someone who has the habit of leaving cars in gear. Panic tends to set in before logic for the first few times that it happens, but only the first time had me really flapping. But if the car's turning over, then that's not the problem (the L2 won't even crank if it's in gear unless you hold down the clutch) so this must be something else. As others have suggested, the TDC sensor is probably favourite.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 4th November 2005 at 11:15 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome