Thread: Espace III ABS
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10th January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by TazzyK View Post
1,000 miles? Did I miss something ? I'm sure it was just a figure of speach

I don't get to drive the Espace very often so haven't done the emergency stop yet, but I did try to phone the dealers who were anything but helpful.... "tell you if you're Espace had ABS fitted from factory? Haha, no I can't do that just by looking at the system. But you can bring it in and we'll check it out for you (and charge you ridiculous amount of money)". Looking at my Laguna's Haynes though, I should be able to find the sensors, but I think it does have ABS anyway. I'm more concerned about why the light isn't working now (I can swear I've seen it work before!)
Hi No that wasn't you. That was a reply to one of the administrators who dissagreed with my post on emergency brake test.
As I said dealers - avoid if possible!

If you do the brake test on a wet road and you have no ABS it will lock the wheels very quickly. Just lift off the brake so you don't go into a full skid. No great wear on discs or pads.

If it has ABS with your foot hard down it will just come to a stop with little or no locking up. Then you should know. It's that simple.

Also sometimes you will hear/feel the vibration of the ABS system working and grabbing the pads on and off the discs rapidly.
Another thing to do is to take a wheel off. There will be a serrated cog like affair behind the disc. It will have the ABS drive sensor on it. Finding out if you have this is no real problem. Email me privately if in doubt and send a pic of the hub behind the disc. I'll soon tell you if it has ABS. The ABS light not showing is very likely the bulb has gone assuming you find out that the cars ABS is there and working.
All the best

Last edited by rodmaker; 11th January 2007 at 12:12 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome