Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Its Bye Bye Renault i am affraid :-(

View Single Post
post #50 of (permalink) Old 11th January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
We'll get our knuckles wrapped for using this post for other purposes shortly............
Very interesting. I'm impressed at the result of your persistence. Good for you.

Like you I did my homework. I wanted a phase 111 Espace but going on this forum and honest john. I was horrified at the problems with the DCI versions. So did my homework again looked at VW/SEAT and Ford people carriers. Wow looked good on the outside but rust in evey part underneath on cars less than 5 year old cars that I looked at. Those makes were out!
Back to Renault. The DTI engine replaced with DCI in late 2000 was of the old non common rail engine type and had considerably less problems. Not without them - but I felt a more reliable and slightly easier to diy on.
Couldn't get one of the Grand type up here in Scotland despite looking for 6 months. Found one on ebay in Dartford. Described well, spoke to the owner. He sounded genuine. Took a gamble and bought it sight unseen. Flew down to Stanstead with trepidation to meet the chap and pick it up. Luckily it was just right. Good history with receipts so home I drove. No problems. Pulls like a train. Tows my fishing boat with ease. So versitile in use. Only problem so far has been water pump failing and losing the heater on the drivers side when it went. I got them to do the cambelt and auxilliary belt at the same time as replacing the pump to be on the safe side but, they - (local small garage) could not restore the heat. Pump failure was a possible fault I was aware of could happen by browsing the forum, but that is the same for any make of car isn't it? So I was not too concerned.

Disappointing nevertheless as Renault have made the design such that you can't get at it to sort it easily. So in the end may be an engine out, dashboard out..... very expensive repair job - just to get a heater working.

It will really only gets heavy use in the summer so we will see whether I can put up with it. I have not given up on sorting it out myself yet.

All the best.

p.s What is a toxic light?

Last edited by rodmaker; 11th January 2007 at 05:01 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome