Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Its Bye Bye Renault i am affraid :-(

View Single Post
post #51 of (permalink) Old 11th January 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by rodmaker View Post
We'll get our knuckles wrapped for using this post for other purposes shortly............
Very interesting. I'm impressed at the result of your persistence. Good for you.
Yes; it seems we are slightly off-topic.

Like you I did my homework. I wanted a phase 111 Espace but going on this forum and honest john. I was horrified at the problems with the DCI versions. So did my homework again looked at VW/SEAT and Ford people carriers. Wow looked good on the outside but rust in evey part underneath on cars less than 5 year old cars that I looked at. Those makes were out!
That surprises me about the VW as an old acquaintance of mine from Germany (employee of VAG) once told me that apart from electrophorosis, they pump about 15 kilos of wax into the nooks and crannies to deter rust. Of course all that is useless if the car has been the subject of an accident and had welding done to it.
Back to Renault. The DTI engine replaced with DCI in late 2000 was of the old non common rail engine type and had considerably less problems. Not without them - but I felt a more reliable and slightly easier to diy on.
I found the common-rail HDi engine in my C5 extremely responsive and very-much regret losing it. Other normally aspirated engines I found rather lazy picking up, but I agree that the less they have on them, the less there is that can go wrong.
Couldn't get one of the Grand type up here in Scotland despite looking for 6 months. Found one on ebay in Dartford. Described well, spoke to the owner. He sounded genuine. Took a gamble and bought it sight unseen. Flew down to Stanstead with trepidation to meet the chap and pick it up. Luckily it was just right. Good history with receipts so home I drove. No problems. Pulls like a train. Tows my fishing boat with ease. So versitile in use. Only problem so far has been water pump failing and losing the heater on the drivers side when it went. I got them to do the cambelt and auxilliary belt at the same time as replacing the pump to be on the safe side but, they - (local small garage) could not restore the heat. Pump failure was a possible fault I was aware of could happen by browsing the forum, but that is the same for any make of car isn't it? So I was not too concerned.
Phew! That's a lot of wing flapping down to Stanstead. But at least you sound quite happy with it. If this is the twin-zone climate control heating, it sounds like a controller problem deriving from the pcb. Do you have any salvage yards near you that might want to part with a pcb or even a whole unit perhaps from a wreck? Sometimes, a careful spray with some switch-cleaner (or wd40) does wonders to a pcb too; but be sure to wipe it off carefully and not to flood it. Just thinking out loud.
Disappointing nevertheless as Renault have made the design such that you can't get at it to sort it easily. So in the end may be an engine out, dashboard out..... very expensive repair job - just to get a heater working.
I honestly don't see why they don't make things a bit easier not just for the diyers but also for the professionals. I suppose they must be trying to earn some money for their dealerships. I mean, engine out for a pump? I even hate it when I find that someone who has worked on anything mechanical before me hasn't lubricated the bolts and nuts before assembly. But it happens all the time.
It will really only gets heavy use in the summer so we will see whether I can put up with it. I have not given up on sorting it out myself yet.
Aye, and you have plenty of room to carry your catch

All the best.

p.s What is a toxic light?
Toxin light= The amber light that's shaped like an engine silhouette. It tells you that there is oxygen in the exhaust meaning the fuel isn't all being burned. I think it is a relative of the lambda sensor.

As always,
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome