Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 2 ( 2005 onwards ) - Buyer's Guides - Owners & member opinions.

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 5th November 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
For me, I think a lot of it is 'culture shock.' I'm too used to being able to hit 60 in second and 85 in third . I'm also used to instant response from idle, which is something I suppose any turbocharged engine is going to be unable to provide. At the moment I keep forgetting to build up the revs before letting the clutch in, resulting in the car lurching sluggishly off from the start line. I'm sure I'll learn soon enough. In many respects, it's like going back to my old 8 valve Lagunas. I'm back to learning the right time to change up, rather than just taking the rev counter most of the way to the red-line when I want maximum acceleration.

The whole of the gearing seems a bit short to me. No wonder they needed a 6th gear. First is almost redundant, and the car can set off from a standing start in second easily enough. But it certainly pulls well - it doesn't even seem to complain if you drop as low as 45 in 6th gear, which is great for negotiating motorway roadworks without dropping out of cruise. Somebody told me that once I'd towed with a turbodiesel I'd never want to go back to a petrol engine, and he was absolutely right. My old car struggled when laden with luggage and towing the best part of a ton of caravan, but this one takes it all in its stride.

I think I'm always going to miss the responsiveness of a reasonably powerful normally aspirated petrol engine, but it's all swings and roundabouts and the turbodiesel definitely has its advantages. I think I'm going to learn to like it, given time.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome