Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna 3 Coupe 2008 - 2012 should I buy?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11th December 2013
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Laguna 3 Coupe 2008 - 2012 should I buy?

Originally Posted by Rikipedia View Post
Hi all, I'm new to your community but am looking to get out of the BMW I drive and indeed the German monopoly of our motorways! I commute 25,000 miles a year virtually all motorway. I Really really like the look of the Renault Laguna Coupe, can any one advise on which diesel to get, I'm thinking 2.0 dci Dynamique would be my best bet, but would the Monaco GP Version be worth the extra expense? .... Never driven a Renault before so i'm a little in the dark, reliability would be my only concern, also do you know of any for sale, your help and advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance
I was /am still interested in the UK, used ones are fairly close to meg 3 (Ireland).. its bad news .near double the price and it was even more than that new.

Some posters have described their new lag coupe in the "my mottah" section with pics.
Reviews of course you can get online,prices in autotrader etc.
Lag3 regular there have been complaints on here, the suspension id a lil hard n not "comfy french" around town, compared to the lag2.
The coupe is a lil harder still, like the meg 3 coupe but since youre goin motorways mainly and have used beemers,(anytime Ive been in a sporty one its seemed harsh) you wont notice probly.
It doesnt hold its value that well, like most renaults,unfortunately,but some of that is the heavy from new discount selling.

Renault reliability rep hit a bad/spotty patch around 2001-2006,not so great quality control etc but has improved a lot with longer guarantees,better reliability.
Some 2011 n 2012 coupes were sold with 4 and 5 year transferable guarantees(depending on deals goin at the time.

The 2.0 dci seems fairly reliable(from posts here) and capable of around 190+ bhp with a tuning box/remap in either 150 or 180 bhp oem form.
Seems you get a bettr bhp return on the 150 .

The 4ws.."4control".Any reviews/comments Ive read dont think its the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Maybe consider it as an extra .like cc,if its there great if it isnt,one less thing to go wrong.

They all look fairly good in photos.
In rl, especially with a patina of road dirt not so good.. they blend more towards mondeo rather than aston martin
They are shorter than a regular lag3.
Rear..looks good,in black cos the boot opening panel gap is quite large.
Other colours less so .My fav colours black met,very dark grey met,gold/beige met,met red.

The white monaco ones :I dont like much,they dont look that classy altho some of them have a good feature with blacked headlamp interiors.
The regular chromed ones:there is a "black"gap under the bonnet,with chromed lamps something isnt quite right about the front look.If you have blacked lamps,the gap seems to extend across the full width of the car.
The front grille shape changed a little around end 2011 early 2012 also,I think.

Shouldnt be any real diff between the 150 and 180 ,a "tune box" would compensate if the gearing allowed.
spec :used as with any car,you should get more luxuries at a cheaper price than new..if you want them,just be wary of more complexity could be more trouble.
Stuff like full leather seating n so on shouldnt break

If the renault "fairy godmother " was to offer me a switch car choice, Id go for a 3.0dci(240/400) tom tom,the only v6 dci with quoted emissions lower than 190 gm/km(189) for tax reasons here.
Probly lose 7-8 mpg compared to a 2.0 but for the bhp and torque I could live with it.

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome