Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hand Held Mobile = 3 penalty points.

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12th January 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Renegade1127 View Post
'driving' means being on a public highway with the engine running - even if parked.
Now that's the bit I don't agree with. It's a bit like the "drunk while in charge of a vehicle" thing, where possession of the car keys in the proximity of the car can be enough to land you with a ban, even if you have no intention of driving. I know someone (well a friend's brother) who ended up with exactly such a ban. His crime? After going to the pub and having a few drinks, he sensibly decided not to drive home. Instead, he went back to his car to extend his parking ticket so that it'd still be valid when he got back in the morning. He didn't even attempt to get into the car and had the parking ticket to show what he was doing, but they got him anyway.

I can see a similar scenario with mobile phones. You get in the car, start your engine, then go to get your phone out of your pocket to stick it on your hands-free kit. You're parked on a public highway at the time, and bang, PC Pedantic has you by the short and curlies.

At least it doesn't land you with a ban. Well not unless you've got 9 points already (3 if you're a new driver.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome