Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Towbar electrics on Renault Laguna 2

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 14th January 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
My current one's a post-facelift 2005 model, and it was wired without bypass relays. The only relay I have is the usual one that incorporates the buzzer for the indicators.

Whether or not that's the 'safe' way to do it is something that I'm sure we could debate until the cows come home, but I've towed various trailers and caravans on numerous occasions, including one time when a poor connection caused all kinds of bizarre things to happen (the rear fog warning light was appearing on the dash whenever the car's automatic side lights came on.)

So far, the car's wiring is holding up to the demands of the trailer wiring and I've certainly not had any expensive electronic control units going 'foom.' For complete peace of mind, it wouldn't hurt to fit bypass relays on all lighting circuits, but personally I wouldn't bother.

If you're still undecided, then you could go to your local dealer's parts department and ask to see the official loom for the post-facelift model. If you see that it only has the trailer flash relay, then tell them you're no longer interested and you'll use ScotchLoks instead. If there's more to it than that, then either buy the loom or go with the bypass relays.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome