Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - scenic (5 seat) Electronic Parking Brake

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th December 2013 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,375 Posts
scenic (5 seat) Electronic Parking Brake

Been struggling with an electronic parking brake issue for a week or two.
Brief history.
Brake slipping a little on steep hills, checked pads and little meat left, about 1mm each so changed.
During change found o/s brake cable sticking and N/s caliper weeping.
Changed caliper and freed off cable as best as I could but still sticky.
Now started getting occassional screaming sound from parking brake motor, when using on hills, fine otherwise.
Checked with clip system at local independant, showing low force reading on off side but couldn't clear/reset unit. Fault showing on Dashboard when unit screamed but cleared on it's own after re start.
Got new secondary cable kit from Renault, you can get them for 5 seaters.
Dropped parking brake unit and cables from car, re-fitted cables and re-installed.
Handbrake now working smoothly but still screamed on hills or if I hold brake switch out for a time whiich seems to add extra load onto handbrake.
Dropped unit again, this time I opened motor unit having deliberately forced the scream. I suspected that it may have overtravelled and pulled the boot emergency release so I could see the position of the screw system.
Bone dry, nicely lubed, no visual sign of problems on circuit board and no sign it's ever over travelled.
Re fitted and back to independant. Reset fault code from boot release but no other faults found and brake tests ok, though not on renault clip system that can't read the VIN for some reason.
Took it to local MOT and tested on rolling road.
O/S reading on parking brake about 50% of N/s reading. Footbrake readings all high and even.
Inspector reckoned touch and go whether system would pass an MOT with the imbalance.
Only thing not changed/checked and double checked is O/S caliper (about 18 months old) so changed this weekend. I'll get it back on rolling road early next week but still getting the screaming.

I believe it is a torque limiter in the geared motor system that screams.
What I can't work out is whether it is the limiter knackered or whether units parameters are lost and need resetting at renault main dealers.
My local dealers will not commit/advise past bring it in for a diagnostic (at 90 odd pounds) and that complete unit replacment is likely...500 plus for unit alone.
I'll replace the system with a manual set up before spending that, especially as Renault records show a new brake unit fitted in 2010.

Anyone any ideas ?????
Gotta get the thing MOTd before New Year and running out of ideas.
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
  5 Lastest Threads by Dancingdad
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Tempting for hallowene Jokes & funny stuff stuart j 17 192 22nd October 2016 12:32 PM
Booster charger General Chat bugsb 27 312 20th October 2016 12:19 PM
Headlamp polishing General Chat funkoval 24 440 9th October 2016 04:12 PM
Driving Test show and tell. General Chat batfink5 7 153 8th October 2016 11:09 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome