Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

View Single Post
post #116 of (permalink) Old 16th December 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

I am having problems with my clio 1.4RN automatic 1998.
When go to start it, it starts fine but 98% of the time it starts but then badly over revs (between 30-50 on the rev meter) or it will under rev to the point it sounds like it's about to cut out.
When it does settle back down and put it in drive then pull away it starts to try & take off and then fights against you braking.
When put it back in to park it starts over revving again up to 50 sometimes.
The other 2% of the time it will either start fine and as your driving it, it will suddenly start over revving to near 30 and try & take off and the brake peddle is solid when try & brake.
When it does that it struggles to change gear and has to over rev to change gear.
OR it drives perfectly fine and can turn it off & turn it back on and it will start fine & drive fine but that's now only about 1% of the time and are very lucky in the last few days for it to just drive like a "normal" car.

It's only been doing it for the last week since it went in for it's MOT which it flew though.
Before the MOT it drove beautifully and didn't have a problem with it.
I have had the accelerator cable changed thinking maybe it was that but it hasn't made any difference at all.
Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could be as I know nothing about cars and living in France finding a mechanic that knows what their doing are very few & far between.
Someone has said it could be the crank sensor
Currently in Saz1's garage:
clio 1.4 RN
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome